I love my babies more than you do, I promise.

12:39 PM

I don't like writing posts like this but sometimes I feel they are beneficial. 


5 minute soapbox and you can quit reading any time you want because it's a free country and you can read what ya want!

Just real quick-
If one more person asks me if painting as a job is okay for the baby I may beat my head against the wall and/or not be able to hold my tongue anymore. BECAUSE:

Do they really think after every thing I went through with Ellie that I would ever, and I mean EVER do something that might possibly cause my unborn baby harm?

You guys. I know it's well meaning. But it is obnoxious considering our current circumstances. 

To clear up any confusion: I paint outdoors in the fresh air WITH the best respirator you can find. In fact, the combination of these two things together means I'm probably breathing better air during my workday than the average person, especially if the average person uses toxic chemical cleaners in their everyday household cleaning (which we don't.)

Not to mention, before I had Ellie, my job was to investigate reports of child abuse and neglect, where I frequently dealt with women who knowingly abused harmful substances and drugs during pregnancy. If anyone knows about the dangers of this crap, it's this girl. Many a day were spent in the NICU observing the effects of selfish behavior by the mommas of sweet tiny babies.

On top of all of THAT, I'm a pregnancy research freak. I'm not kidding. I take zero medications during pregnancy..not even Tylenol. Do I want prescription medication for my frequent nausea? Nope. Won't do it. I'd rather hover for hours beside a toilet in case I vom everywhere or go about my normal daily activities, except wondering at what point I will throw up, and if I do, if it will be whilst driving because that would be the worst. 

In fact, even after Ellie was no longer in my womb, I refused heavy pain meds in at the hospital for my c section and barely took any pain pills post arriving home because I wanted to make sure I could monitor my pain so I would know not to overdue it. If I decided to rid myself of pain and discomfort with meds, I would have easily put too much strain on my incision and delayed my healing. Pain and discomfort allowed me to monitor my progress. Call me crazy.

What did I do with the medication "safe list" given to me by the Ob? Trashed it.

As an aside, let me tell you why:
Medications are broken up into "classes" for pregnancy, and here is an explanation of the classes:

Category A

Adequate and well-controlled studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).

Category B

Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.

Category C

Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

D:

There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

I know what you're thinking- so why not take the safe meds on the list if you need to?

You would assume that they would only put class A meds on there? Right? Wrong.

Chris and I did some research and MOST of the safe meds were either class B or C. In fact, zero of them were in class A.

This is why I'm a pregnancy research freak. Read the classifications closely, especially my emphasis of classes B and C, of which most of the medications fall.

"But people take these all the time!" You're right. But I lost a baby after having a perfectly healthy and risk free pregnancy, so surely I wont start taking these now.

Point and case: I love my babies more than any well meaning friend does. Do I blame strangers for asking these questions? No. I'm happy to tell them about my job.

But if you know me, you'll know, especially now..that I would sacrifice anything, do anything, commit to anything for the health and life of my children.


Love,

A super protective, overly cautious, really strict pregnant momma who does not take chances when it comes to her babies.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. People are crazy!
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I was holding my older child who was barely 1 years old, and the dressing room lady at Target told me very seriously that I should put him down because my baby would get his cord wrapped around his neck! Because medical personnel always also work at Target.

    Obviously you love this baby, and you won't harm him/her. Goodness. People.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love! And don't forget your blog link so I can visit! :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images