Blueberry Barbecue Sauce Recipe!

4:47 PM

My friend mentioned making barbecue sauce with blueberries and I was immediately interested. I love weird food combinations. Maybe this isn't weird. I don't know. Regardless, it was too good not to share. Forgive me in advance for not being a precise ingredient-measuring person. I feel like that should be required when recipe-posting. I prefer to just try it until it tastes good. I think I inherited that from my Greek-no-measuring-cups-or-spoons-Dad. So here are the basic guidelines and ingredients I used to make this awesome-sauce. (Finally I can say awesomesauce and it's legit.)


Ingredients:

1-2 cups of blueberries
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped (or 3 or 7 if you're me.)
1/4 cup vinegar (cider or balsamic)
1 tbsp. brown sugar
a dash of liquid smoke
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. molasses (totally optional)
*red pepper flakes
*chili powder
dash of S&P

*I didn't put amounts on these guys 'cause Tates are spice-a-holics. Start with just a little sprinkle if you're not as fond of the heat, and then add as you like. Heck, I don't even know if the other measurements are accurate, but they should be close.

Method:

1. We already had boiled down blueberries from when we made pancake syrup...so I just used those. If you only have fresh, boil them down until they are squishy and liquidy..mine still had whole blueberries in there (kinda like when you're making cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.)

2. Puree the blueberries, onion, and garlic in processor or blender. Mine struggled a bit since it was so thick, so I went ahead and added a little bit of the vinegar to help it along..when you're done the mixture should look like it does in the picture above. 

3. Place in a sauce pan on low-med and begin adding the rest of the vinegar, the liquid smoke, brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, and spices. Let simmer so all the flavors can meld together. Since my blueberries were boiled down from the start, I didn't need to bring them to a boil again, but if you started with fresh berries and skipped the boil down part, you'll need to do that to get it saucy.

4. Taste it a bunch and add more spices to bring up the heat!
Some other recipes I saw called for other ingredients like zinfandel, cayenne, and worcestershire, so 
feel free to experiment!

We ate ours over pulled pork barbecue, but I've heard it's great on just about any meat, even fish!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave us some love! And don't forget your blog link so I can visit! :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images